#TheSingaporeLawyer Episode 4: How do you start a Civil claim without a lawyer?
Articles Blog

#TheSingaporeLawyer Episode 4: How do you start a Civil claim without a lawyer?

December 13, 2019

Today we’re talking about how you start the civil claim without actually having a lawyer. A Civil claim is started by filing or submitting a formal court document. This is called an originating process There are two main types of originating processes. The first is called a writ of summons on second is called an originating summons. You should file the writ of summons for your case if there are many disputes relating to the facts. The writ of summons can be filed together with something called a Statement of Claim which is a document that states all the key and important facts of your case, he elements and ingredients of the legal cause of action that you’re relying on and the compensation or corrective measures you are asking the Court to give you or the intended corrective action that you are asking the Court to deliver in the judgment. These can be contained in a Statement of Claim. If your case only relates to making a very specific and limited application to the Court, you can then file something called an Originating Summons. Similarly, you can submit an Originating Summons if the key or only question in your case is about how to interpret the wording or content in the construction of a written document or law or contract. It’s more common for civil litigation cases to be started by a Writ of Summons and the person who starts the claim and files a writ of summons is known as the Plaintiff the other person whom the claim is made against is known as the Defendant. There can be more than one Defendant and more than one Plaintiff in any claim The Plaintiff should serve at the writ of summons on the Defendant after The sealed or stamped copy of this document is returned from the Court. During the civil litigation case, the parties must submit and serve many documents to Court and the other parties involved. Filing and serving of these Court documents is typically done electronically by way of an online system called the eLitigation system. You can do this through the service bureau or physical offices one is located in the Supreme Court and the second is in Chinatown Point So you should look look up on the map to find out where these are located in case you need to file these documents. So, there you have it some very basic information on how you start a civil claim if you don’t have a lawyer Thanks very much for watching.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *